Saturday, October 27, 2007

Dont wana leave Colombo!

Dinner in the house was quite dramatic with the man suddenly announcing u know inflation, un safe blah blah so we migrate. I was speechless for a few moments and recovered immediately to state un conditionally that i cant leave Colombo.(more in the tones of u leave i stay) Ok M looked really annoyed now that i have not even discussed pros and cons but refused.

As I was travelling to work today I just looked from Bamba to Fort, the place i love so much. The calmness i feel when i look at galle face. The Little Budhha statues and Big Statues that we pass here and there. How hard I have tried to explain to my friends in college how beautiful my country is. I dont want to leave this and go. From the richness of gemstones, to calming tea, spicy pepper and cinnamon, this land is a gold mine. I dont want to go abroad and start from scratch.

No, The Man hereby refered to as M has to go by himself. (Oh shit! what Am i saying i will be stuck with the two monsters alone in colombo! )

6 comments:

Indyana said...

Yes, I felt torn to leave SL as well this year...I really can understand what you mean.

santhoshi said...

I am trying very best not to leave! lets see whats in store.

Mariangela Hills said...

Gee, that sounds like an earth shattering decision specially coz you seem to be another person like me who loves the beauty of our country and really values its riches. But nevertheless things Gee, that sounds like an earth shattering decision specially coz you seem to be another person like me who loves the beauty of our country and really values its riches. But nevertheless things aren’t easy here by any means with the cost of living pivoting through the roof and our salaries not increasing proportionately. So I guess, you will have to look at both sides of the coin. End of the day its up to you two to come to an agreement and make a decision as a couple.

santhoshi said...

Ya the issue is still hanging on balance. Have to really think before making a decision. I dont want to stay back by myself and then complain about being lonely either.

Jack Point said...

There is physical beuaty in the place and there are the social networks too but what future can you offer your children?

The country is growing richer slowly BUT the gap between rich and poor is widening - and it is the rich who are reaping much of the benefit of the growth. In the meantime society is degenerating.

Corruption is breeding crime and violence. A culture of impunity surround the rulers and their hangers-on : there are two classes of people the rulers and the ruled - the law works differently for the two.

The rulers are in cahoots with gangsters and criminals, which is why we have serious crime problems.

This is the same path that many otehr nations have followed, you can see the parallels with Kenya, Colombia, Nicaragua, Pakistan and many others.

Life is going to become very, very tough. You need to think seriously, if only for the sake of your children.

santhoshi said...

JP - Oh dear! you made it sound very very serious. I guess it is a serious subject. But my point is there are people who still stay here, with all the problems families who have choices to move opt out and stay here. I am still not sure what i am going to do :( lets see