Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Mahasivarathiri 2009!

Out of sheer boredom decided to accompany parents to Muneeswaram temple for Sivarathiri. Every year I visit a shiva temple in colombo. This was the first time i was attempting to spend it in Muneeswaram Temple which is in chilaw. My parents, brother and I left at eight to get there. I felt like it was almost the old days when i was single and no responsibility. I had a vision in my mind where the temple would be silent and no crowd.

Oh boy was i wrong the temple was brightly lit with huge crowds. It was a mini carnival out there with the baloon man, ice cream man and the small shops with loads of household stuff. This temple has ardent buddhist followers who had come to give their offerings and pray to lord shiva. Ten O clock pooja, I was totally mesmerised. Huge crowds, chanting, different drum beats ( mix of south indian and kandyan). Buddhists and Hindus Standing together and praying loudly at the decorated deity...

I think i can relate to people losing it and dancing as if something as entered into them, the temple has many people who become like that and have watched them from afar. No i did not jump to join them. But i suddenly could relate to it. The end of the pooja and i knew one thing if god Beckons me all the way to his temple so far, i guess its meant to be I am going to make it... Somehow figure it out. Not all but some of it to start........

11 comments:

Lady divine said...

my mum's been saying that she wants to go there for some time now..... so could you give me directions some times? So I take it that it only takes 2 hrs to go? That's not bad..:)

Also wanted to ask, where is the Captain garden temple? Mum wants to go there too for some pooja...

santhoshi said...

LD- Captain Gardens temple is on Mc Larens road. U come down darley road and turn off into MC Larens Road. U can see Peters Bookshop in the side. There is a road going up adjoining it. Just go down that road u will find it. Go on a saturday morning around nine its good

Muneeswaram comes just past chilaw exact directions i am not sure. U drive upto Chilaw and ask in the town. It would be one and half hours on a holiday.

ViceUnVersa said...

Aaaaw, ohm shanthi ohm. Been there once. But thought it was a Kali temple? Can't remember Shiva's presence. Long ago so I must have forgotten...

BTW: Please remind to never ask you for directions! :)

Hoot-a-Toot said...

Heres wishing you make it...and have all the blessings of the gods.

santhoshi said...

DD- there is a kaali temple but behind it (not right behind but uhave to go a bit around) there is a huge sivan temple really powerful. so next time u are here to try and make it.

Whts this about directions. i just gave the correct direct way to get there not the roundabout.

Ld- i think dd might give u his map of directions also. I want to see how he is going to give his way :P

Surani : Thanks :)

Bimmy said...

Isn't it heartwarming to see people from different religions united at least in places like these?

You should have joined the dance!

santhoshi said...

Bimal- were u serious or joking abt the dance? confused

definitely its great to see all together

Bimmy said...

Quite serious. I have a similar item on my bucket list. :-)

santhoshi said...

Bucket list whats that ?

Bimmy said...

It is pretty much a list of things that I would like to do before I die.

There's a great movie titled "The Bucket List" starring Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman. Check it out...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0825232/

santhoshi said...

Bimal- oh ok got it...