Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Driving the heat!

I have to get back home looking at galle face was the decision made last week. Oh how lovely to be able to see the Sea although it was looking very hot. Pass the roundabout and am happily stuck in traffic in front of Indian High Commission when there is loud tooting of horns.

looking at the mirror i see its some top important person going for something very important (like a UN meeting/ or a drink at breeze bar?) Now the tooting is getting louder and they are with their arms waving at me to move over. Hello there, I am stuck in a traffic block, cannot move an inch unless my Toyota puts out its wings and i fly out from there.

Seriously if this was eight months back i would panic since they are very polite and sometimes have the habit of getting off the vehicle and knocking on the windows to move. The knocking is not slight knock its more like boom boom i ll break the windows. My heart usually goes thud thud. But now i just looked back and stare menacingly ( i think) at them.

look to the side an auto driver is gesturing something with his finger. I was quite curious what he is saying i mean there could be only two things one he is trying to help me or two he is saying something obscene. Put the shutters down this with the tooting and brandishing of big guns behind. Auto drivers profound statement we should not have voted miss did u vote? .. wow what a moment for him to pick to have a mini discussion with me about the country. I shake my head this way that way and pretend i dont understand sinhala. I know English he screams.

now the tooting has doubled I am sure they are going to come and scream in filth or shoot me. Please shoot me i think saves my ear going deaf and everyone turning to look at me as if i am having a circus going on. Seriously where am i suppose to move the car onto? the merc in front of me or the auto beside me? or why not try indian action movie skill and try to ram onto the iron rods separating the sides of the road.

A kind jeep gives way and i kind of move the car with a little dignity. Did u know that Colombo has some kind hearted souls who actually give way. So about five vehicles moved forward stared at me and talk amongthemselves, i stared back! seriously i was still thinking shoot me! its the heat getting to my head.. ...

7 comments:

Azrael said...

Ah yes, the joys of driving in Colombo :D

Jack Point said...

AT leats the trishaw driver is beginning to think.

Yesterday, took a left turn into into Kynsey (from a traffic light controlled sied road-opposite the medical faculty) and had to stop because a police vehicle was coming down the wrong lane, overtaking the traffic that had stopped at the light.

The driver was mouthing various insults at me and it was HE that was (a) in the wrong lane, (b) going agianst the light.

Some rule of law we have eh?

Sigma Delta said...

Oh for the day that we all get down from our cars and walk away!!

santhoshi said...

azrael- joyfull indeed

JP - Thats why we call it paradise. last evening, darley road fire engine going in the other side, thats ok they are in a rush. Auto guy following the fire engine in the wrong side and then doing a U Turn Ahhh another blog post

Sigma- how i wish!!

Hoot-a-Toot said...

You never know with tuk-tuk drivers do you. I showed my finger to one guy who came on the wrong lane and cut across me (I think he was so shocked to be shown a finger by a woman with a kid in the car seat) and he started laughing...out loud in the middle of the road!

santhoshi said...

sue- u did? lol that was a blog post calling

Serendib_Isle said...

Hmmm... And they're supposed to be at OUR service! LOL