Monday, March 23, 2009

Fair and Lowly

One of the older aunts dropped by the other day with a gift for D. I have to mention she is one with the snow white skin. She gave it to me and inside was a jar of fair and lovely. This is for D u can tell her to use it. D looked at me and my stricken expression was mirrored on her face. D is not fair but an average Sri Lankan child.
I took the tube did not say anything. I felt offended, upset many emotions that my child is hurt. I can’t tell the aunt off either since that will cause enough drama to last me a year.
After aunt leaves D comes up to me and asks what I am doing with the tube of fair and lovely.
Me; Nothing
D: Mum I don’t understand when u and I are not bothered by my colour what is it to the others
I was speechless by my nine year olds wise words.

9 comments:

Hoot-a-Toot said...

Oh dear. I am glad your kid is wise enough to be not bothered. tell her dark is beautiful. look at all the top models. half of them are black!
Maaaan I admire your patience with the aunty! would have told her to stuff it up somewhere ;o)

Lady divine said...

D sounds a bit like me....:) the kind of things I said back then..:)

great to know she has more and better sense than the aunt..:)

noreply@blogger.com said...

Smart Kid :-) Can you bring her to my office ? Some ladies here go to all insane lengths to become fairer. I want the kid to teach them some good lessons and simple truths in life :-)

Anonymous said...

black is B.E.Auuuutiful! these aunties are nuts men! ur kids gonna grow up to be one smart cookie. :)

Anonymous said...

That is so annoying! I'm glad D takes this kind of busy body activity well!Three cheers to her! My eldest was always compared with the younger ones, and people would comment to my face,I've protected him from sickos saying things! Really bad manners ,I think!

Anonymous said...

Be sure to reciprocate when you have to buy a gift next for this aunt. A weeks membership at the gym may send the right signal ;-)

LankanFunkin

Anonymous said...

That just sucks, big time!! And, wow where does your kid get all that wisdom from? Not mommy noh? He he.. (jk)

Agree with the last anon, make sure your aunts good deed doesn't go unheeded.

santhoshi said...

Thanks for the comments.

Hemm i cant exactly give aunth a membership to the gym although she does need one!

Chaarmax : hahaha

Bimmy said...

There'll always be people like this. Sounds like D's got a good head on her shoulders - congrats!

There must be a lot of people using these whitening creams; just recently I saw some targeting males too. Must be big business.