Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Borrowers!

This is not a post about a bank but of people that I know. Have a good friend and a cousin who always keep borrowing money from me. Randomly it’s like when we go shopping they are like oops I forgot my cash or really lame excuses. I have this habit where I cannot say no although I know very well that I am not going to get the money back.

Well simple solution for this would be to pretend I don’t have any cash either. But then I just cannot bring myself to say so. Just a mental math of cash I have handed out like this comes to a reasonably amount (could have spent it on stuff I like).

I think it’s a family gene that I am unable to say no to these clowns cause the other day my mum had left a few missed calls. When I called her back she tells me that some class mate of mine from school had turned up at her place and borrowed some cash. I was like who?!! She had to remind me various escapades for me to really place this girl. I have not been in touch with her for like ten years and she turns up out of the blue to borrow money from my Mom!. The point I cannot still understand is that if I borrowed from anyone I would remember and immediately return. How can these characters just conveniently forget? Is it intentional or they are just absent minded?

1 comment:

Jack Point said...

Tricky situ. Some people get into difficulties - have a cousin who used to be visited by a former team mate on a sports team who 'wanted a bit of help' he did so several times - I cant remember how it ended but he doesnt come around anymore.

There are scamps who get themselves into trouble and turnto friends for a while - consider it a form of charity.

One golden rule with lending money to friends - be prepared to write off either the money or the friend.

If family/friends keep forgetting their money then limit shopping trips with them - or if you do go with them carry very little so that you can honestly say no.