Monday, January 28, 2008

Where have all the Trees Gone?

Last week everyday after work I drove around different parts of Colombo. I did this mainly to remind myself about the different places I love about the city and to think whether I want to actually leave. One point I notices was there was a reduction in the number of trees towering over different roads. Was not sure if this was my imagination or actually the trees have gone missing slowly and me being pre occupied most of the time, not noticed.

It was real the tress are reduced in numbers. Last night getting back home late I noticed some guys cutting down trees. I think various reasons like disturbance with electricity cables and new buildings coming up and etc. etc.

Very worried that in about ten years time there will be slow cutting down of trees in the city and we will lose that botanical charm of some roads in Colombo!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Every time I visit singapore, I ask myself, where have all the trees come from?
Really the highways and walkways are getting ever lusher and the concrete pillars etc. are well concealed by the dense foliage in singapore. Especially the drive from the Airport to the city.
They know the secret of Sustainable Development. While us Sri Lankans don't even know such a thing exists.
It is indeed sad to see the green monsters disappearing!

santhoshi said...

Half Doctor- I think with Singapore its not only the trees they have come a long way. If i am not mistaken the sixties and seventies they far behind but developed very fast..

Jack Point said...

Sigapore was a poor country with absolutely no resources.

Where they are today is due to excellent governance.

Where we are headed to is entirely due to poor governance. The trees are a symptom of the larger problem.