Friday, October 31, 2008

Home alone

Being alone at home with the kids questioning me whether i was not scared was enough to put a brave face. Inside I was really worried was thinking of different ways a thief could break into the place along with jack and the beanstalk or jack the ripper. So i did what was the next best solution went to bed at eight. Could not sleep so kept reading some chicklit. At ten pm I hear crackers. No this was not the fireworks courtesy of SL govt but actually someone was bursting crackers, rockets and those chakra things (which go around and around lighting up). It was obviously the neighbour who had decided to celebrate the festival of lights a day late.
The fireworks were continuing for about half an hour to forty five minutes and I had lost sleep. In the midst of it heard the door bell ringing non stop with a loud shout to come out. There were no words to describe how scared I was. So went out to see a angry looking cop demanding why on earth Was I bursting crackers. By this time the neighbour was out and explaining that it was indeed them and blah blah.

By this time the sleep was all lost and went back inside to have the power go off. It was one miserable and frightful night with me questioning for the millionth time is it really worth staying in this place?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A belated Happy Diwali!!!

Bimmy said...

Of course it is worth... where else would you get all that excitement? ;-)

Happy Deepavali (or is it Deevali) by the way!

Anonymous said...

Oh dear, didn't the knight in shining armour turn up at your bathroom?

San, there are some of us who would give an arm and a leg to live in Sri Lanka and some who don't. I read this article recently where they said that minorities who live in Sri Lanka are third class citizens in a third class country and they'd rather be second class citizens in a first class country. I laughed.

You have lived in the west, I now call the west my home. It is whether I like it or not. I see my fellow Sri Lankans living lives that are completely worthless and a huge sham as non-citizens in first class countries. It's a load of crap. Whether you are first, second or third generation, a foreigner will always be a foreigner in the west. Always looking inside from out. This is the honest truth.

Sri Lanka will never be OK, but compared to what's out there, it's fine.

Racism, Prejudice, Hatred is every where. I'd rather be with my own people and know what I face than have to face the undercurrent but dangerous prejudice people foreigners face in the west.

So much so I don't want to include my name in this comment. But you do know who I am.

Happiness and Security is a state of mind. Whatever the problems you can raise your kids in Sri Lanka to understand and value their culture. I cry inside every time I meet a Tamil youth here who was born here. Their parents have made them hate Sri Lanka, and therefore any part of it's proud culture, which to me includes the practices of it's Tamil community. One example is that whatever problems we go through in SL, the role that Tamil/Hindu gods play in Sri Lankans lives.

The Tamil youth pretend here to be American Ghetto hip and walk around with their underwear showing trying to talk street hip and of course failing miserably. The Indian hindu's and sikh youth embrace their culture and walk around proud!

So be happy! Maybe one day all the people of Sri Lanka will truly understand the depths of despair the LTTE have brought the country to and fight to eradicate terrorism.

Until then my apologies to you which is all I can offer today, now.

Jai Shri Krishna!

ViceUnVersa said...

Hiya, the kid and I when unable to sleep plug in the headphones and place a warm cloth over our eyes. I don't know what she listens to, I listen to prayers.
Chants of India - Ravi Shankar I can highly recommend.

It's extremely relaxing and before we know it we are dead to the world.

As for moving out of the Paradise Isle, I recommend Singapore whole heartedly! If you are serious you should start looking for opportunities there?