Saturday, November 7, 2009

The hunt continues..

The next morning we are suppose to leave to Chennai, the phone rings. Its my dad again. He advises us to leave immediately and visit another temple and get back to Chennai quickly. Since he thinks the girls father F is going to turn up and stop us leaving the town. The family has been watching too many Tamil movies.

Again the phone rings its F

F : I want to know what your brother spoke to my daughter.

Me : Uhm i think we should just drop it and we will see later

F : NO i want answers actually I came in the morning to meet your brother but ended up meeting Uncle instead
Now the brain was in high alert, this guy has turned up in the morning and i have somehow missed it. Did he come with the goons and swords or something. Am i never leaving this village oops town ever.

I rush to find my brother its like losing him in a village carnival. He was there all right with a now what look in his face.

Quickly explain that we have to leave that F is not going to take a NO. B is in better moods and laughs and says this is indeed a circus now. Then go in search of the uncle who takes ages to come out.

F had turned up and demanded to see B, luckily ended up with Uncle character. Uncle had said I think you should check if your daughter is ready for this. F had argued and anyways to put it in short version. F was not a happy man.

Now F in the past weeks had become good friends with my mum and been calling her his long lost sister and crap. Mum seemed to have got carried away too. Mum was like a rabbit caught in a headlight scene. Not her fault i mean how was she to know this but this man was trying to convince her that B did not understand Tamil and got the story wrong.

The girl could not speak much English but B can speak Tamil and she had clearly told her love story to him so there was no miscommunication going there.

On our way to another temple for an hour. F called us so many times telling its a communication error and we should fix it.

In a way now I feel sorry for the girl, because F is a nutcase and he would force marry her to someone else by January. He would do it just to prove us that he was right. Parents being too strict can also cause issues like this.

When I was small i was brainwashed into the belief that it will only be an arranged marriage i think same goes with B. With my kids it never came up but recently my ten year old has been asking me so many questions in this whole system, caste and stuff. I explained and told her when the time comes that is when she is twenty five she can find someone herself. She says she wants to get married the way we all did. I think this is a culture which gets into you as a child watching others....

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Quite a sticky situation!Have been pulled into this drama as I've seen these things happen back home too! Sigh!!! Your little one also wants this style marriage?! How cute! I guess it's the surroundings that has an influence on them, and nothing wrong at all!Well take care!!!

~ lo$t $oul ~ said...

Dammm thts some drama to put up with. Village may change to town in its apperance i guess its still a village how they think n act.. :D im telling from my experience..

Well atleast you got out safe.. no missing limbs?!?!?! :P

Im sure ur grl by the time she is 20's want to find someone herself.. she wudnt need any convincing at al.. :D

Serendib_Isle said...

Oh dear me. Now this is turning in to a movie on SunTV..!

Good luck Santhoshi, trust me you need it. ;)

Hoot-a-Toot said...

oh dear!...

Scrumps said...

I'll marry him! :-)

santhoshi said...

:) scrumpy!

Azrael said...

Wow, the drama, tis exciting :D

This is turning out like a soap opera. he he