Friday, November 6, 2009

The Village Bride-1 !

The long search took us to the deep village of India to see a prospective bride. Viewing of brides is strictly after horoscope match, photo viewing and checking the family references. Almost like a job but a different take altogether.

B was coming after like 20 or more years, and I was going after seven years. Village has turned into city and everything was lush and green paddy fields. Not. It was all dry zones all over and loads of wild trees which had not seen rains for months but looked like years. The minute we stepped into the long car drive it was pouring, good sign i thought.

I was only a one night stop and the bride visit was that evening. I gave my views to B that he wont be allowed to tall to her alone, they would most likely send an old grandma to chaperon.

B Looked a bit put off that he has to be chaperoned. These were all guesses mind you. I mean although India is developing and blah blah. There is a small percentage which still goes for arranged marriages inclusive of my family. I was busy doing a probability chart for B to show him what percentage would agree to this and came up with a fraction where he would be chaperoned to talk to the girl in a village. Doing fractions with a kid at home helps. I can give crazy statistics probability charts in a minute and convince people.

After giving B some wierd stories about crazy girls in the bride hunt that other cousins went to which were true stories but need a separate post and scaring him I was lost in thought.

B : U know its done i am going to say yes

Me : what ? we have not seen

B : After listening to your stories I am more scared than ever we cant be travelling all the way. I think we should wrap it up I will say yes. You have been spending too much time on this so its the End.

Poor B sounded dejected like a traveller who had walked a 100 miles uhm not really but u know what i mean.

Just before going that evening I was lost in thought, I was not really happy with this pick. Who am I to judge a person i had never met. I felt sorry for B that he was just saying yes to save us the hassle of travel.

On another note so many of my friends have been asking why cant he just find someone. B seems to be caught up in the fascination of arranged marriage and all the works. Recently I have discovered that he seems to respect our tradition and culture more that I ever did. I have also come to discover he is a better person that I am.
B also wants to make my parents happy by agreeing to have them search someone.

17 comments:

Hoot-a-Toot said...

Your bride posts always crack me up :o) Poor B. But then again if this is the route he wants to take he must be happy right? despite your scary fractions. Come on..tell us what happened when they met! Hurry Up!! :o)

Dee said...

wow sounds ancient..hehe...but hope everything works out for him!

Gadgetgirl said...

I hope B deserves this village bride meaning hope she's all good as the catch.
Poor B! Anyhooo which part of India did u vanish to? :)

santhoshi said...

Sue- due to your request shall finish the story quickly

Dee- he is only 25 dee not ancient yet lol..


GG : i am in colombo... that vanishing was to tuti some odd weeks back...

Jack Point said...

Sorry to sound pessimistic but this post gives me the shivers.

Is'nt 25 too young to get into marriage?

How well do you know the family? Arranged marriages through family connections where the other family is known is ok, but a completely unknown one sounds like a shot in the dark.

santhoshi said...

Jp- It is a shot in the dark. I like that statement. 25 is young. but then again i got married when i was 20. not that this is relevant to that.
We do a sort of reference check of the families. Distant relative who knows your cousins aunts second cousins sister.

~ lo$t $oul ~ said...

Hey how can u call TUTI village?!?!?!*angered* and by TUTI i'm guessing you thoothudi?

Yeh its very dusty n dry as well, but with lots of building coming up.

HAHA its funny how u put distant relatives.. :P

Anonymous said...

I'm sure it must be the hardest decision on earth to find a match through this sort of searching through the picks and all!But,looks like he was scared into a decision by you, poor thing! So scary to think that this is just round the corner for me, with my own kids!Son even asks me to keep my eyes peeled for a match....Santhooo...I'm scared!!!Good Luck to your brother, and hope all for good!

INDY

santhoshi said...

Ls: dont tell me u have an aruvalu and u are from tuti is it?

Anonymous said...

Hey I'm from around Tuti myself!!!

INDY

santhoshi said...

Indy: good luck to u too.. thanks we are going to need a lot of luck looks like...
yes i feel bad i think i am scaring him... vut to do

santhoshi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

What??? LS is from Tuti too???
Its a small world if that is so!

~ lo$t $oul ~ said...

Yes im frm Tuti, ppl in tuti dont have aruvalu.. they have THIRUKA MEENU VALU... :P we are fishermen remember..!! hehe we've all laid tht down and now moved to software n all tht.. :D ur safe..

santhoshi said...

Ls: i take the village comment back now. U are from tuti? i was joking actually. Now that we have cleared that.

Tuti is a nice city which has its own airport. It has big buildings too ;)

Thiruka meenu vallu u really lost me on that one

ViceUnVersa said...

Cool scene. Just having a bad day, week, month, life... Sorry no disrespect to you, bro or culture.
Everythings cool, especially the weather!
Tc x

santhoshi said...

Vice- Take care and have a good weekend!