Tuesday, March 18, 2008

OCI

We learn different lessons in life at various stages. The Indians are very patriotic. No, I am not saying that we Sri Lankans are not. My little niece was running around saying “jai Hind” and pasted about 20 little flags on her white shalwar on the Indian National day. I am still to see our Colombo kids do that. When I was in an Indian School I was very happily tortured whenever the India Sri Lanka match was on. Thank God that a couple of times we won or getting teased by a bunch of Indian kids all the time was no fun at all. The day Sri Lanka won the world cup I was the only one running around school saying Yes We won with 100 Indian faces looking clearly shell shocked.

The experience I got with studying there was I was always up fighting about Sri Lanka. Our chocolates are better was one of the lines that I was handing out. Even if anyone asked are you Indian I would jump up to say no I am Sri Lankan. I never in my wildest dreams thought I would apply to become a citizen of India. Now, the present situation and different experiences pushed me to apply and I have it now. My inner feeling with all this is did I just do that? I am Sri Lankan in every way I speak to breath. If that was true I should not have applied to hold both citizenship. It was upsetting as if I sold my sri lankaness to justify the Indianess in me. The Indians are going to be so proud and say we did tell you so………


OCI : Overseas Citizen of India

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a shame what people are forced into doing in these times...

But I'm sure you had very good reasons for it.

Jack Point said...

Good luck and farewell.

santhoshi said...

killromeo- well they are fairly selfish reasons :(. If there are really bad times here it would be easy exit to get a job there and school for the kids and stuff.

jackpoint- thanks for goodluck, why farewell? i am not leaving colombo anytime soon