Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Childs Play

Have been watching different games that kids play in the age range of eight to five year olds. They have these make believe games of playing shop, hide and seek, playing tennis (kid you not this is serious with a sania dress up involved as well), mummy daddy game (this is the innocent one with the teddy bear as the kid). The one that had me in stitches was the four year old speak in sinhala and English all mixed up and giving operation orders for a logistical mess up (he was pretending to be working like me). All the technical jargon had been picked up as well, so that goes to say how careful we have to be when we talk in front of kids. It was the most hilarious insight into how I sound when I try to sort out work issues from home.

Getting married game is another all time favorite where all the eight year olds dress up and play brides. There is also this “life” game which is like a monopoly sort of thing but it has loads of life issues or something I watched the kids play one day. This post is not about the innocent kids play but another serious issue involved with kids playing. We always here of kids being molested by adults (in the line of relatives cousins, friends and what not). The stories I have heard can make a real sordid blog but then I don’t know if half of what I hear is true. What I am going to post here is a true story, the kids’ interest with playing mum and dad sometimes goes onto serious playing where they start molesting smaller kids. This was again related by a friend where a bunch of small kids were usually playing but a little boy used to take one of the little girls and putting in LD’s Words try Hanky Panky with the child. Now general curiosity of little kids is always there, show me your under pants or show me your wee wee blah blah is an issue that comes up at some point or the other. When the child goes to the extend of committing acts on another kid, that’s where we have to be alert on its not innocent child’s play but something more serious where one kids molesting another. The kid must have seen or been subjected to something not right. Addressing issues like this is treading on dangerous grounds where parents don’t want to and don’t know how to react with such things. Seriously this sort of issue needs proper counseling.

When I was single I used to be terrified of the word “rape”. That’s another post altogether. Now that I am a mum I am terrified of the words “child abuse”. Since I am hardly at home but have full time supervision of the kids I still have this un answered fear that what if? Sending kids to play with other kids spend of the days all have to be closely monitored since not only adults but even other kids as small as five years or four can cause harm to others without realizing what they are doing……

Molestation by adults is something we all hear, I remember once I was in a room filled with girls and almost ninety percent of them had one story to relate about how they were molested in their young age. Shocking but true that we live in a sick minded world……

No comments: