Thursday, April 17, 2008

Alone with the kids

So I took the kids and went down south by myself over one weekend last month. When the kids are on vacation its like they can’t have enough of me and drive me nuts. The fact that I don’t get time off during the week is of no point to them at all. The minute I step into the house they want me to entertain them non stop. Maybe I am a selfish kind of mom who should get her act right and feel peaceful and serene when I see them.

Lying in the sun bed alone with a book it suddenly struck me that I am really craving for an adult conversation. I felt so lonely and miserable I had to wait for a few minutes for that feeling to pass. Hats off to moms who do it alone all the time. Another thing I notice is people have random conversations with you about the weather and the pool when u are alone and when they see the kids popping out from the pool and shouting mom they just look confused and say bye quickly and run off. Then the staring, having dinner alone with two kids could not help but notice happy families staring at me ( well the women at least). For a mad moment wanted to get up and shout I am not divorced or separated but I am alone most of the time with my kids, since the man is traveling ninety five percent of the time. I must be really losing my head if I wanted to do just that.

After numerous games of monopoly, snake and ladders and I spy, I could not wait to get back to Colombo. Slight guilt when I kissed them bye to go to work like I was escaping my own kids.

5 comments:

Lady divine said...

Nothing comes easy... life's tough....

Perhaps you should take a little time off to be with them?

and that craving for adult conversation, I think we all get that feeling at some point...:) if I can be of any help, just scream my way.. U got my email addy..:)

santhoshi said...

thanks a lot LD :)

pissu perera said...

it's refreshing to see a mother actually admit to feeling like this, because usually even mothers of monsters (i'm in no way implying that your kids are) just pretend to like it all the time and i can't help but think "oh quit lying, everyone can see through your act". hats off to you santhoshi :)

Lady divine said...

anytime...:)

santhoshi said...

PP: Sorry for the late reply. By the way my kids are capable of being monsters :). Thanks for your comments but The mummy bandwagon might ban me and send me to jail for complaining about being with the kids.