Saturday, April 26, 2008

Eat, Pray, Love

This is the book by Elizabeth Gilbert that I picked up in Chennai and have been reading the past few days. I have finished the Eat part only. So far its been funny, sorrowful and makes you think about life in general. I read a lot of Chick lit stuff and no this books not like that. Its different and made me think about different bits in my life.

It’s about a woman’s search for different things in life. So she travels to Italy to learn the beautiful language and enjoy the pleasure of eating. She goes to India to learn about the spiritual side of life and then on to Indonesia to find out about love (I think love since I have not got to Pray and love yet)

All my life the one place that I have wanted to visit is Italy (ok well make it two places add Spain as well). So reading this book made me really want to visit Italy. When I took up my job last year the one condition that I had requested is that I wont travel on work very far since I never wanted to leave the kids and travel for more than a weekend. I do travel extensively within Sri Lanka. Now, I have decided that I shall change my stand and on the traveling work related bit and take up whatever comes across. Since I doubt I am going to be able to afford to visit all over the world on my savings on vacation. I have to thank the book which made me make this decision that I am missing out on life by not traveling.

2 comments:

Bimmy said...

Must read that one.

Sounds as interesting as "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho. If you like that type of soul-searching writings I'm sure you'll like works of Coelho (if you haven't come across his works already).

Italy and Greece are two destinations on my to-go list. Yes, I hear food in that region is simply smashing!

santhoshi said...

I have been meaning to read "The Alchemist" but never got around to it. Shall read and post about it. This book is having such an effect on me do read and tell me what u think...