Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Stray Dogs in Colombo

There are a whole load of stray dogs in and around Colombo. Far too many for my liking, since I am really very scared of dogs. Usually when I go to my mum’s house when we see the pet dog I scream first and then the kids scream and we stay in a corner until the dog is sent away. It does sound a bit ridiculous, but ever since I got bitten by our neighbors pet when I was a kid, I am very scared of any dogs.

Friend and I were walking out of another friends place in nawala and noticed a group of stray dogs. I got panicked but my friend said not big deal just walk. One dog just ran up and started liking my friend’s leg. And then did the same to me. I really wanted to run and I think my friend sensed it she said don’t run. So held my friends hand really tight and kept walking. Then the dog put his paws on me and was licking my hand. I have never been more scared n my life. Then he just went away we got to the car and got in.

We just could not get over what had happened (my friend is also not a dog person). She suggested we throw a stone at the fellow (I hope pet rescue does not read this). No we did not throw stones at them but I did manage to take the car really close to them and brake and horn. Well by that point it was looking a bit silly and we drove off bunch of dogs. Seriously what would we have done if all four dogs had attacked us or bit us? Last thing I want is going for a visit and then getting bitted by a stray dog and get rabies.

Don’t the authorities have to do something about the stray dog situation (speaking of which there is a whole load of things to attend like our road drainage and what not)? Quite a few people I know at office have got bitten by these stray dogs and had to go the GH to get the rabies and that’s another headache all together.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are obviously not a dog person. I am. Looks like those dogs were being friendly.

Rabies is rare and not as widespread as advertised. But its best to be careful.

I'm sure the authorities have a lot more on their plate at the moment. Even if they act they would get rid of the dogs completely than offer a more humane solution.

Grown up dogs are difficult to deal with. But if you see a puppy ask someone who is a dog person to adopt. We adopted a pup last year and she makes me happy every day.

Jack Point said...

Stray dogs are an utter nuisance and are quite a danger to the public.

Apart from rabies they have a tendency to cause accidents by chasing cars, bicycles or people.

santhoshi said...

dilantha- These were huge dogs not pups. thanks for the info about rabies.

Jackpoint- I feel so sorry when i see the dogs chasing the bicycles. this happens all the time.

Lady divine said...

stray dogs tend to scare me too sometimes.. But I ignore them unless they look really fierce and keep coming after me....

Come to my lane, there are about 5 now but they're friendly and I think some people in my lane got them vaccinated..:D

santhoshi said...

LD: great that the dogs were vaccinated. I am so very scared of dogs :(

Lady divine said...

Happy new year to you Santhoshi!!!! :)
Hugs

Anonymous said...

I live in US and I work with some Sri-Lanka's folks outsorucing IT work to them.

From your story, sounds like the dogs were very friendly to you. Sadly, I've been reading so much about stray dogs being abused in Colombo. So many of them. Poor creatures. Humans made them companion animals first, and after that, made them suffer for it (for being dependent on people). The human trust is so deep in the canines and it's unbelievable how humans abuse and betray this trust...

I wish I could help all helpless in this world. What else could I say.