Friday, June 13, 2008

Arranged Marriage part 1

My parents call me up when I am really busy to announce that its time.

Me; Time for what (I am utterly clueless here since I was thinking time for what? For them to move back to India, or some astrological time?)

Dad: u know the time has come

Me: For what???? (Or this conversation was going to go forever)

Dad: We have found a girl (ok this is really ridiculous have they found some half sister who they had forgotten to mention, or are they adopting a sister… my imagination is really running in those few secs)

Me: a girl? For what
(Why can’t they talk what I understand?)

Dad: your brother its time for him, we have seen a girl…

(Did not see that coming my poor brother is 24 and I am sure he does not see that coming either but bit thrilled since I get new clothes ok I am vain)

Me; ok

Dad: is that all you can say? We have found a girl

Me: Who is she?

Quick conferring with my mom in the other end. They are sure it’s a girl

Mum: it’s a girl

(Right now that we have established that he is straight and we are getting him married to a girl can we get on with this)

Patiently I ask them some questions and the conversation just keeps around a girl. That’s all they have figured out. Then end of the conversation they were clever enough to point out that I am not acting responsibly I must check this proposal out. After half an hour conversation they have some criteria
She has to be the same caste
She has to be from a good family (god!)
Horoscope has to match...

And the only information I have is she is a girl. Unless I get a James bond to help me out (even he might find it difficult to work on that one)… Also I am the Chosen one to talk to my brother……. (I am scared)

7 comments:

Lady divine said...

24? he's only 24? and marriage?

He's certainly too young... for men to mature and think about marriage, they should atleast be over 26...

but then, some get married early...
I can imagine how it feels... its a very very serious issue... all the best to you and your brother santhoshi....

Sachi said...

is he any cute? ?;) or ...would u not know that?

Azrael said...

24???

If somebody tried to get me married at 24 i'd runaway and join a circus...

...I still would :)

ViceUnVersa said...

Good scene. Keep us updated as story develops.
:)

Anonymous said...

U know I used to have an aunt who always tried to set me up...I ignored it at first but she kept going on and on....finally I stopped it by asking her whether I could take teh girl for a 'test drive'...and leered suggestively...come to think of it...she doesnt really talk to me anymore:)

Anonymous said...

LD:
"He's certainly too young... for men to mature and think about marriage, they should at least be over 26... "
Hooray! I don't want to ever grow up! longer time to play around. Man I love it over here,
No parents to nag, it is summer. I even get looks (and more) for my rugby legs! (trust me they are good as the rest!!)

santhoshi said...

Ld -Thanks

Middle child- ugh he is my brother

azrael- read my next post :)

vice - my family is really wierd

n- eeks i hope my brother does not say that to me how would i say that to my parents back

KS- i am sure my brother does not want to grow up either...