Saturday, June 14, 2008

Arranged Marriage Part 2 (AM part 2)

Decided that discussing with the brother (B) had to be done directly because if he was making puke faces I can’t detect from the phone. So went up to see him with the usual hi how are u.

B: Are you ok you look really uncomfortable

Quickly explained the conversation to him and watched his face turn a few shades grey. This is as much as I seen so many emotions run in his face (the boy did not cry when grandma died).

B: F____ F______ I don’t want get married I am running away

Right that makes things easy but I knew I was not going to get off easily with this answer because next my mom would pretend heart attack. So told him they are serious so give sensible answer.

B: shit man my friends kept telling me I will be the first one; I am so young I am so young (repetition of the same things is a genetic default in the family)

Me; I was nineteen when I got engaged, so u are lucky u should count your blessings or whatever

B: that’s tough luck on you, I don’t want to get married, and I am young only 24
(Puts his head down on his hand)

Quickly explained that the parents were not going to stop so option of running away is out and also the conditions they had put down. He looked downright pissed off when I told him about the three things they were particular.

B: oh ok so they have all this criteria let me get this straight whose getting married

Me: right do we have any preferences

B: yes I need another three years

Me: its out they won’t wait, I really cannot handle a heart attack situation

B: ok tell them to wait a year we ll talk about it then.

Me: do u have any conditions

B: she has to be a babe and young like nineteen twenty

Me: a babe? Nineteen twenty, don’t be sick. You need to be a stud to get a babe. I shall not let you marry a teenager.

B: you are going to pay back for all our childhood fights aren’t you.. Listen you have to put it off by a year.. How does this work

Me : well we exchange horoscopes, then it has to match then I go to see the girl if shes nice then u get to go but u cant say no

B: totally out I need to talk to the chick (chick?@@@ ) what if she is forced as well or something. Need to talk it out….

Well obviously this has to be handled delicately my parents are very old fashioned I can’t tell them he wants a babe so will have to be subtle and explain that beauty is important for him.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just tell him to go along and have fun!.

Lady divine said...

hmmm... u r getting caught in the middle......
lets hope things work for the best!!:)

Bimmy said...

In the last two years I went for 3 weddings that were "Arranged Marriages". The funny thing is in each of these 3 occasions, these were people who I considered to be fairly outgoing, smart and intelligent. So I guess the picture we had of arranged marriages being associated with introverts, nerdy-types or mama's boys/girls doesn't hold water any longer. And I read somewhere that in the Asian region arranged marriages do seem to last longer.

So maybe, it might not be such a bad thing after all.

Angel said...

Reading the developments with interest, although I do feel sorry that you are in an uncomfotable situation. Sympaties to your Bro. too. But agree with Bimal, arranged marriages can nurture loving, strong and lasting relationships.

Fingers crossed that he gets that year though...!