Saturday, July 12, 2008

Checking in the mornings….

Saturdays are days to sleep in and relax and get to work late. Such a simple thing cannot be done what with the mobile ringing right on dot at six am

Dad : are you sleeping?

Me : No I am not

Dad : You sound sleepy

Me : No I am wide awake have been up for the past hour jogging I have a sore throat ( all bull since I was fast asleep and hated being rudely woken up by a call in the morning)

Then the conversation was dull and pointless and he hangs up. I mean parents and in laws really do not have a time sense ( I have been woken up like this the whole week by dad and father in law at six am by phone calls every single day the past week). How can anyone sleep after that, get ready to leave to work as I am stepping out the cops are right at the gate to do their usual routine house checks.
Four of them just stare at me while only one speaks with a big smile and tells me politely that they have to check the house. I mean usually I get nervous with checking ( not that I have anything to hide) but the fact that the husband is away traveling was one of it. So got too hyper and cheery and welcomed them in as if long lost friends. All of five them looked momentarily confused and looked at each other and came in. The lady wanted to check out the house all rooms and when they asked me how many in the house I said me and the maid and husband is away. So they looked around and said its only the two of u. I was like yes. There is a big mistake in that statement since I had two sleeping kids upstairs who I had forgotten to mention completely. What kind of an idiot am I?

Anyways the nice lady checked my dressing room which was an utter mess like one of those hurricanes have hit it (what to do I am a messy clutter person).

Then we go upstairs and she is like “who do we have here?” Quickly calls her colleague.

I was also wondering who we have up there. Then they look at me expectantly waiting for a proper answer.

Me : Oh they are my kids

They just look at each other and come downstairs and after talking to the maid are about to leave ask me if I have any relatives from the north east. I was quick to jump and say no I don’t but I have relatives in India. Sure enough they were least interested about my aachi and seeya being from India

The last point I did was offer them tea/ coffee. I don’t think they were paying a friendly chatty visit they politely declined. I know I should not have gone to that extent of hosting a tea party for them but I really did want to give them a cup of tea.

3 comments:

realskullzero said...

hmms seems like a nice eventful saturday mornin....haha nice part abt forgettin your kids..heh

ViceUnVersa said...

You should have done the Sri Lankan thing. While they were checking the maid should have quickly prepared the tea and served it. Then they wouldn't have been able to say no, no?

My Dad used to always get us to cut Thambili, even for passing beggars coming to the door. So we used to ensure that there was a bottle of cordial handy at any time. Easy to serve!

PS: Working on Saturdays is extremely uncomplimentary to one's health and well-being!
Je vais maintenant de nouveau au lit !

Bimmy said...

I hate those call on Sat/Sun mornings. So I am now putting my mobile to the 'silent' mode on Friday and Sat nights.

Ahhh... the bliss of sleeping in. At least until the hungry kids wake you up!