Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Stone unturned contd.

For a minute I turned cold when I heard that we were transporting the said stone. I knew clearly that this sort of thing is not allowed. (Isn’t it strange how u remember laws clearly at moments when u are not suppose to). I started arguing with my brother who was telling me to relax that we were supposed to drop it off in matakuliya. My mom had told B this but not mentioned to me that I was supposed to carry out this getting rid of Mr. Stone. As fate would have it we were stopped at a check point. After the necessary questions of id and checking if we do infact know our addresses blah blah whets in the car please open behind.

Cop : what is this?

Me : turtle

Cop : You know it’s illegal to transport
There began a huge interrogation where he clearly said that we could be arrested for this sort of thing. B looked very worried. I did what I usually do made a prompt decision that I would go to the station and answer questions since b was in the marriage market and this would have been big black mark. I could just imagine the family having a field day gossiping that this was our part time business. I was getting very carried away.

So again I told him our story of we had no clue who left the thing in our house and its bad luck so we are going to drop him off. Now the cop was fascinated about the bad luck business. After a good twenty minutes discussing the pros and cons of good luck and bad luck beliefs, we were told to carefully drop the fellow off at some water point and go home.

Off we were to kotahena to pick up a catcher to do the needful of sending the fellow off. Mr. Stone was set free into the sea where he belongs. To this day we have no idea how he was found in the pond……

6 comments:

Lady divine said...

farewell Mr.Stone....
Hope he'll be well..:)xok

Anonymous said...

How on earth did ur kids get a hold of a sea turtle? It was a sea turtle right? cos if it wasn't and you dropped it off in the ocean...well...it would have died a fairly painful death.

santhoshi said...

n- i just felt really ill reading your comment. I dont know if it was a sea or land turtle

santhoshi said...

LD- hope he did have a proper farewell....

Anonymous said...

Apologies if the comment made you feel that way...but it's the truth. A little self education before releasing any animal into the wild goes a long way. Not only for the sake of the animal but the environment (Invasive species is one of the major threats to the environment).

I had a friend mention she released two budgies into the wild to set them 'free.' Of course those birds would have been free but also dead shortly afterwards as they were captive bred and 10,000 miles from their natural habitat.

I don't want to be judgemental or lecture...but kindness without knowledge can kill.

santhoshi said...

n- You are so right. next time will be extra careful with animals..