Thursday, July 10, 2008

Earrings

I love earrings big dangly ones, studs, hoops, small ones big ones, tiny ones. I think the earrings I love the most are anything with a big hoop. Of course this is all fake stuff or silver for some strange reason I hate gold or any other sister metals of the gold company.
I change my earrings almost everyday without fail. Try to keep it down on work days like not too bright and showy. But otherwise bigger the better….

Anyways went to a family function the other day with my newest favorite dangly pair. Two of my aunts (who are sisters were caught staring at my ear with profound interest or so I thought).

Two aunties are old cronies who have nothing better to do but gossip and be bitchy about everyone around them. So when they talk to u there is no hi how are u its straight to the point.

A 1 : what is that in your ear

I was momentarily confused since did I have hair growing out of my ear (yuck sick) or like some unknown growth (need to be attended by surgeon immediately). So felt my ears and my bright blue dangly earrings.

A 2 : You are wearing some cheap looking earrings

Me : ( tastefully cheap is more like it) its fashion aunties

Aunties grilled me for a few minutes until I was impatient and losing my temper slowly. They wanted me to promise that I won’t wear the cheap earrings again and then the all important question

“Where is all the gold that your amma gave u for the wedding ? All that gold….”

Me : “ I sold it “ Gave a big smile and walked off.

IT was worth the look in their faces or so I thought.

Within seconds mum comes like she is being attacked and drags me to a side

Mum: you pawned the jewellery? Is that why u are wearing this fake stuff on u all the time.

(Didn’t I say sold not pawned?)

Me: I Was joking u know I wear this stuff all the time…

Mum: I need to check your locker

Me: What (you are kidding me, no I have not sold or pawned the jewellery yet) you believe those two hags is it.

Mum: I need to check that the jewellery is in fact there, do u know how hard it was to collect all that gold

Me: which I don’t wear anyways..


Mum : do u know the value of gold these days

Me : it does not mean anything to me

Mum : final I am coming to the locker……… (walks off with a huff and a puff)

Aunties looked satisfied with a job well done and when I was getting blessings to leave they were kind enough to remind me to wear some gold on my ears next time……

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG.. you sold the ancestral hair looms!! Ha ha.. I can imagine the reactions of the poor old ladies... Ha ha.. Good one to pull on your aunties... :)

Lady divine said...

way to go Santhoshi!!!

one of my good friends here in office is an Indian lady married to a tamil citizen here.. she tells me all these stories...:) the jewellery related ones..;)

Anonymous said...

this stuff is hilarious

santhoshi said...

chaarmax : i have not sold them yet :)

LD : jewellery is such an obsession with the aunties and mummy gang ......

Dee said...

oh mann...maara old fashioned neda? :o

Anonymous said...

Hehe! I don't wear my gold bangles even when guests come, and I can see the stare moving up my arms to my neck,ears! Can't be bothered!

santhoshi said...

Indyana : not wearing bangles is a big crime thats another posting altogether,,

santhoshi said...

Indyana : not wearing bangles is a big crime thats another posting altogether,,

Anonymous said...

I knw.. I was just imagining the look on their faces.. :o)