Saturday, November 3, 2007

Deepavali Vs Housework!

Its that time of the year where my days get longer and nights shorter. The maid, the gardner, driver all go off for deepavali holiday for a week( which might get longer and become 10 days). I should not complain I have it great the rest of the year except during festivals and got to think of women who work really hard and give birth to babies in paddy fields and keep on working without complaining.

M was nice enough to tell me that it’s a different work out from my aerobics class and I don’t have to get out of the house. Looking at the bright side all this makes me stop eating the whole week so that I can stuff my face on deepavali.

Deepavali in Colombo is so much different to Deepavali in Chennai. Chennai is full of crackers morning till night and a bunch of new movies out. Here it is quite I have not heard a cracker in years for festivals and very quite, sometimes its easy to forget that it’s a special day. Chennai is with high hype and you feel the festival of light( I cant really put it in words properly.) Anyways Mil has asked me to make sweets. I agreed happily cause I am going to get this lady to make and pretend I did it ( Seem to be doing a lot of that lately.) The festival is another reason to buy clothes and buy I did from India.
Dear God please make sure that all the domestics come back safely to their intended houses and don’t jump houses. Hats off to everyone who lives abroad and do all their work by themselves

10 comments:

Indyana said...

Yeah Diwali back home in India was always great fun and full of noise!

Wish you a Happy Deepavali!

Lady divine said...

Wish you a fabulous and happy Deepavali!! :-)

Diaspora Voices said...

happy diwali, just got back from ealing road, it was qite fun and glittering!

and of course the fireworks are in full force.

do you make that really nice milk rice with raisins, and other fruit & nuts in it? the only thing i miss here is that, none of my indian friends knew about this dish.

santhoshi said...

Thank you Indyana, Lady Divine and Dsome :). I shall email you the recipe dsome, its easy to make.

Diaspora Voices said...

hi

recipe?

pls post on my blog and i will remove it after i copy it.

tx

d

santhoshi said...

D Some here is your recipe

Ingredients:

Milk 3ltrs
Dried white rice 1 small cup
Sugar 700gm
Optional : nuts and raisins

Method:
Boil the milk. Add sugar and mix well. When it boils again, add the washed rice in it. Simmer in medium flame. Cook till the rice is done. Serve hot. (optional -Powder the cardamom and add it to the mixture. Then fry the cashew nuts and almonds in ghee and add these you can add raisins too ) Try and tell how it came out >>

Diaspora Voices said...

Hey thanx

Shall cook it on Sunday!

Def let you know how it went.

;-)

santhoshi said...

Dsome Did you manage to make it? is it the same sweet you were talking about or something else?

Diaspora Voices said...

hello you

made it!!!

i think i may have got the quantities wrong, so was a bit too milky & soft, but none-the-less superb!

and yes, it is the dish i was talking about. ate it with banana & some treacle, yum!

thanks

dsome
actually my name is dhammika ;)

santhoshi said...

Hi Dhamika

Glad that it turned out well. was a bit worried that it might be unedible. cause last time i tried to give out a menu it did not turn out very well :)