Thursday, November 1, 2007

For the love of Chick Lit !

Last week I had the opportunity of meeting up with a friend from London lets call her R. She always brings me a list of stuff that I ask, and usually its books. Books that I read are varied from booker prizes to my all time favorite Chick lit. I love reading chick lit. When I say this in public, usually people just laugh at it including friend from London. She always makes it a point to give me her five minutes lecture on wastage of time reading these books and I should expand my horizons. I do expand my horizons and read serious stuff once in a way but have built a vast collection of some great Chick Lit books (which I hope to donate to charity soon).

Anyways dropped in to see R and she gave me my stuff and gave her usual lecture. While the conversation was going on I mistakenly dropped my mobile ( which I seem to do a lot, time to get a new one). Bend to pick up mobile and there is a book under the sofa, I quickly grab it and look at the title. Surprise!!! It’s a good chick lit book. Turned to see R who is red in her face and goes OH that was for my cousin she likes this too. I was like uhm ok. ( wonder why u had to put it under the sofa then) I guess that will be the end of her advising me to stop reading what I like.

I think the best advise I ever got in my life was in a Bangalore Book store. I was browsing around the bookstore and an Indian aunty walk in. The guy in charge was no help the aunty kept asking him different things and he was blank. She scolded at him and started talking to me. It’s sometimes weird how you can have conversations with strangers. She was like you should read these books and rambled off some books (not chick lit). Surprisingly, I had read all of them and she gave me a compliment I shall always treasure. You are well read, I just wish youngsters today read that much and please do not stop. She happens to be one famous Indian authors mum, and am very glad that I got a moment to chat with her….

2 comments:

Azrael said...

Ah where would be without those wonderful things called books eh?

santhoshi said...

Lost!! :)