Monday, November 12, 2007

Nanny Nightmares

About a year back I spent about two weeks interviewing Nannies, since the one who was working departed to work for some foreigners. I think interviewing people to work at an office is easier that Nanny interviews. With a Nanny I am so paranoid about hiring because this is the person who is going to spend so much more time than I do with my kids. I am so paranoid with all these question whether she is going to beat the kid up (highly unlikely would usually be the other way around), kidnap the kid (another unlike situation cause they weigh a ton each), or I don’t know teach bad words (which they anyway pick up in school) and the kids should not love her more than me (I know Complicated with a capital C)

So started the process by running an ad on Sunday paper. Get calls from really posh sounding ones I did not know which ones to call for interview but was getting desperate cause had to hire one fast. So call about ten ones who sounded ok. My mom was very particular that nanny should be English speaking; I don’t know why this obsession but anyways since nanny has to get along with mom I said ok. Ms posh nanny came, I looked at her and was speechless, and she was stunningly beautiful. Was feeling a bit inferior looking at her the kids were very friendly and on best behavior mode. Told her I will get back to her. Mom was insistent but I really did not want some model type to be with kids
Old nanny came she looked pretty cool a sixty year old wearing jeans and sneakers. Liked the look of her looked solid and dependable until she spoke. She was interviewing me and kept insisting that the kids should sleep for a solid four hours during the day time and watch Sesame Street when they are awake. My foot I would allow them to sleep all day they would be up all night and she just kept chewing gum and blowing bubbles into my face. That is such a no no. Yes I do chew gum but not if someone’s interviewing me. This interview session went on for a week and at last hired model type nanny for a month. She had to leave the country. Was glad to see her go since all my friends kept teasing me to death about the madam (i.e. nanny) and me the maid.

Presently, I have a nanny for the last year. She is honest, simple and really nice to the kids. I know she wont manipulate the kids. I am not kidding here; I have watched little kids who love their caretaker much more than their parents. These are some of the problems of leaving the kids and going to work……..

4 comments:

Lady divine said...

hey....glad to know you had found someone good...
I've been with nannies too when I was a kid.. and I know my parents went through the same fear you've experienced..

It's hard to find good people these days... and once u do find the good people. you must treasure them and treat them well..:-)

Take care..

santhoshi said...

hi LD you are so right about treating them well. Have a great week!

crystal flame said...

reminds me of this movie that i don't remember the name of. they were doing the nanny interviews as well it was hilarious :D just as u explained. anyways glad to know u found a good nanny for ur lil ones.. i remember when my mom used to go thru the same scenario.. now i know what went thru her mind :D

santhoshi said...

let me know the movie name when u remember crystal flame. It might help me polish up the nanny interview skills :)