Friday, November 2, 2007

Kiddies party and ambalangoda!

After a long day at work, had to take the four year old for a birthday party last evening. The kiddies parties these days are much more complicated and extravagant than simple parties that I remember. Anyways, all the mummies in town are in competition with each other to hire the barney, clown, mr. elephant and whoever other cartoon character is available. Loot bags are also a big competition who gives the best or the most expensive and in the kids words “coolest”. The kids do not and will not leave a party without a loot bag.

I am also with all this talk the competitor to join in the competition of Birthday parties. I think it comes from the guilt of going to work full time and traveling on work I try to sometimes make it all up by buying the best gifts and doing the coolest loot bags. If that’s called spoiling so be it. I have spent an all nighter packing 40 loot bags for a six year old party and I am telling you it is tiring. Like doing a project, hunting for stuff that thrills six year olds is a task by itself. Its worth it when the kid has a big smile and is proud of her party.

So wait at the party watching the four year olds trying to push each other off the slide (someone’s going to break his / her head soon). Start getting questioned by my four year old son (s)
S : mummy do you know all my friends
Me : Yes of course
S : so whats his name ( and points at some kid)
Now frankly I had no clue who he was, I know a couple of kids names but I don’t know the class of twenty. All the mums looking at my face expectantly, so I try to be clever cough a bit and ask the one standing next to me what the kids name. Woman looks pissed off and by then
S : Its Dinush
Me : I knew that
S : No you did not
Me : yes I did
S : you should come to school everyday then u will know all names

Now all the women burst out giggling well I joined too what am I suppose to do.
Woman standing next to me is the sweet cutesy Dinush’s mum. Ok whatever I need to memorise all the brats names and I have to do it fast.

Then get home and get questioned by the Daughter D
D : mummy whats ambalangoda famous for
Me : ( now what is ambalangoda famous for? Damn it I don’t know cant remember ) Amba (mangoes)
D : Haaa no its not you are lying
Me : it is that’s why its ambalangoda – amba means mango they have loads of it there ( I have no clue where that came from)
D : its famous for masks
Me : I knew that
D : No you didn’t (smirky smile)
At times I know this brat does it for purpose just to irritate me.

Need to memorise stuff on sri lanka tooooo!

No comments: